These muffins are moist and sweet and studded with little pockets of cinnamon goodness. The sweet potato provides a soft, fruity background flavor that contrasts nicely with the warmth of the cinnamon and nutmeg.
This recipe is adapted from the buttermilk sweet potato muffin recipe over at Kitchen Notes:
Cinnamon Chip Sweet Potato Buttermilk Muffins
2 c (280 g) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 c brown sugar (packed)
1 c buttermilk
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c butter (melted)
1 c sweet potato puree
3/4 c cinnamon chips
1. Preheat your oven to 375°.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and brown sugar until they are smooth. Add the buttermilk, honey, and vanilla and whisk until everything is well combined. Slowly whisk in the melted butter. Stir in the sweet potato.
4. Add the flour mixture to the sweet potato mixture and gently stir until the two just barely come together. Gently fold in the cinnamon chips.
5. Grease a muffin pan and fill each cup 3/4ths full with the muffin batter. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.