I love this cake. It's a great fall dish, filled will all the flavors of the season. It's very moist, but not greasy or heavy, and it has this wonderful spicy and lightly fruity flavor. The cake itself is only slightly sweet, which allows it to partner nicely with the rich and tangy cream cheese frosting.
This recipe is adapted from Paula Deen's pumpkin bars:
8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
1/2 c butter (room temperature)
2 1/2 c (288 g) powdered sugar (sifted to remove any lumps)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c (280 g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 2/3 c sugar
1 c vegetable oil
1 3/4 c pumpkin puree
1. To make the frosting, place the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat the ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
2. Preheat your oven to 350°.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, oil, and pumpkin until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between addition. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and gently stir until the two are just barely combined.
5. Pour the mixture into a heavily greased 10 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
- Since the frosting has cream cheese in it, this cake should be stored in the refrigerator