These sweet thumbprint cookies have a nice brown sugar flavor that is perfect for showcasing all kinds of jam. I especially like filling them with rhubarb or blueberry.
This recipe is adapted from the rhubarb-filled cookies recipe found in Taste of Home Cookies:
Jam Thumbprint CookiesNotes:
2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter (room temperature)
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
2 eggs (room temperature)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c jam (any flavor)
1. Preheat your oven to 375°.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Beat together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until they are light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
4. Roll the finished cookie dough into walnut sized balls and place them on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie. Use your thumb to make an indentation in the center of each cookie and fill the indentation with the jam. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes or until they are golden brown. Move the cookies to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.
- These cookies are the best on the day they are baked. They soften up quite a bit on the second day.
- The jam gets really sticky, so store these cookies in a single layer or they'll all stick together.