This silky smooth jam has an addictive sweet and tart flavor. It's a really tasty spread for toast, bagels, and muffins, and it makes a great filling for thumbprint cookies.
This recipe is adapted from the rhubarb-filled cookies recipe found in Taste of Home Cookies:
Rhubarb Refrigerator JamNotes:
2 c chopped rhubarb
3/4 c sugar
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Place the rhubarb, sugar, and water into a medium sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and then simmer for 10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly.
2. Remove approximately half a cup of the liquid from the sauce pan and place it in a small bowl. Whisk the cornstarch into this liquid. Slowly whisk this cornstarch mixture back into the sauce pan. Cook the mixture over medium heat for another 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the jam to cool slightly. Stir in the vanilla extract and then allow the jam to cool completely.
- As its name implies, this refrigerator jam should be stored covered in the fridge. It will stay fresh for a week or two.
- This recipe makes about 1 cup of jam.