This simple sauce has an intense strawberry flavor and just the right amount of sweetness. It's silky smooth and is spiked with just a tiny splash of vanilla, which gives it a bit of depth. It's great drizzled over ice cream or chocolate cake and is also good swirled into some yogurt or oatmeal.
This recipe is adapted from the strawberry sauce recipe over at Joy of Baking:
2 c strawberries (hulled and quartered)
1/3 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Place the strawberries and the sugar into a medium-sized sauce pan. Place the pan over medium heat and, while stirring occasionally, heat the mixture until it begins to simmer.
2. Allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves completely and the strawberries deepen in color slightly. Take the pan off of the heat and allow it to cool completely.
3. Stir the vanilla extract into the cooled strawberry/sugar mixture. Place the mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until a smooth puree forms.
4. Strain the sauce through a fine mesh sieve to remove any seeds.
- This sauce will keep fresh for four or five days if you store it in the fridge.
- It also freezes well.