The cake portion of these whoopie pies is soft and moist and just a little bit chewy. It has a nice strawberry flavor and is only slightly sweet, which allows it to pair nicely with the super-sugary strawberry-rich filling. So very yummy!
This recipes is adapted from the strawberry whoopie pie recipe I found on Oprah.com,
Strawberry Whoopie Pies
3 1/2 c (490 g) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 c brown sugar
2/3 c canola oil
1/2 c plain yogurt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c halved strawberries
1 recipe strawberry whoopie pie filling
1. Move a rack to the middle of your oven and preheat it to 350°.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and canola oil until they are smooth. Add the yogurt and vanilla extract and whisk until everything is well combined. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Finely chop the strawberries and then stir them into the sugar/oil mixture.
4. Pour the sugar/oil mixture into the flour mixture and gently stir until the dough just barely comes together.
5. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, measure out 1/4 cup mounds of dough and place them 2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. I was able to fit 6 cookies on my standard sized baking sheet.
6. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cookie comes out clean. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for five minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. After the cookies have cooled completely, use a 4-inch round cookie cutter to cut a single round out of each cookie. This will ensure that the cookies are all the same size.
8. To assemble the whoopie pies, place a generous dollop of filling on the flat side of one cookie and gently press it together with the flat side of a second cookie. Repeat until you run out of cookies.