With there pleasant but mild flavor and crunchy texture, these sugar cookies are a great canvas for all kinds of edible art.
This recipe is adapted from Joy of Baking's sugar cookie recipe:
3 1/2 c (460 g) all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 c butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 c sugar
2 large eggs (room temperature)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
3. Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, beating until well combined.
4. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or until the dough is firm enough to roll out.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out your desired shapes and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
7. Bake until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. On average, this will take about 10 minutes. Large cookies may require a few extra minutes to bake and small cookies may require a bit less baking time.
- These cookies will stay fresh for more than a week in an airtight container.
- You can make the cookie dough a day or two ahead of time, just keep it tightly wrapped and in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
- This cookie dough also freezes well.