With their lovely texture and mild sweet potato flavor, these biscuits are tasty and versatile. Drizzle them with a little honey and they make a great breakfast. Split them in half and add a little pulled pork and some thinly sliced red onion and you have an amazing lunch: Yum!
This recipes is adapted from Paula Deen's sweet potato biscuit recipe:
Sweet Potato Biscuits
1 1/4 c (175 g) all-purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c cold butter (cut into small pieces)
3/4 c sweet potato puree
2 to 4 tbsp milk
1 tbsp butter (melted)
1. Preheat your oven to 450°. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles a course meal and no pieces of butter larger than a pea remain.
3. In a small bowl, mix the sweet potato and 2 tbsp of milk together until smooth. Gently stir the sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture until the dough just barely comes together. If you find that the dough is too dry to work with, gently stir in another tablespoon or two of milk.
4. Turn out the biscuit dough onto a well floured surface. Gently knead the dough once or twice to finish the mixing process. Be careful not to overwork the dough or your biscuit will come out tough. Pat the dough to a 1/2 inch thickness and use a biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits.
5. Carefully place your biscuits onto a well greased baking sheet. Brush the top of each biscuit with the melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes or until the biscuits have risen and browned slightly.