This quick bread has a wonderfully dense, almost pound cake-like texture and a beautifully complex vanilla flavor. It is sweet, but not too sweet, and has just a bit of dairy tang thanks to the addition of plain yogurt.
This recipe is adapted from the Gateau au Yaourt a la Vanille recipe that is posted over at Piece of Cake:
Vanilla Bean Quick BreadNotes:
1 1/2 c (210 g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c plain yogurt
1 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean (split and scraped)
1 c vegetable oil
1. Preheat your oven to 350°.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, vanilla bean scrapings, and vegetable oil until everything is well combined. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir until the batter just barely comes together.
4. Divide the batter evenly between two well greased mini-loaf pans. Place the mini-loaf pans on a baking sheet and place the baking sheet in the oven. Bake the loaves for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean. Allow the loaves to cool in their pans for 10 minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- This bread will keep for four or five days if stored in an airtight container.
- This bread also freezes well.