Thanks to the addition of both canned and dried apricots, these moist muffins have a sunny and fruity flavor that pairs perfectly with a smear of strawberry jam.
This recipe is adapted from the apricot muffin recipe found in The Ultimate Muffin Book:
2 1/4 c (315 g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 can (15 oz) apricots in syrup
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs (room temperature)
1/2 c plain yogurt (room temperature)
1/3 c canola oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 c dried apricots (chopped)
1. Preheat your oven to 400°.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, and salt. Set aside.
3. Place the canned apricots and the syrup that they came in into a food processor or blender. Process until a smooth puree forms.
4. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until they are well combined. Add the apricot puree, yogurt, canola oil, lemon juice, and almond extract and whisk until everything is well combined.
5. Add the apricot mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir until the two just barely come together. Gently stir in the dried apricots.
6. Grease a muffin pan and fill each cup 3/4ths full with the muffin batter. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out with a few moist crumbs. Allow the muffins to cool in their pan for 10 minutes before turning them out on a wire rack to cool completely.
- These muffins freeze well.