This blueberry buckle is my one of favorite ways to use up fresh blueberries! The cake portion of this yummy coffee cake is soft and buttery and perfectly compliments the bright and fruity flavor of the blueberries. And the sugary streusel topping? It provides just the right amount of sweetness to this berry-laden treat.
This recipes is adapted from the blueberry buckle recipe posted over at Taste of Home:
2 c (280 g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c butter (room temperature)
3/4 c sugar
1 egg (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c milk (room temperature)
2 c fresh blueberries
2/3 c sugar
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 c cold butter (cut into small cubes)
1. Preheat your oven to 375°.
2. To make the cake, place the flour, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until they are well incorporated. In three additions, alternately add the flour mixture and the milk to the butter mixture, beating well between each addition. (i.e. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, beat well, add 1/3 of the milk, beat well, etc.) Gently stir in the blueberries by hand.
4. To make the topping, place the sugar, flour, and cinnamon into a small bowl and whisk to combine. Using your fingertips, work the butter into the sugar mixture until large crumbs form.
5. Evenly spread the cake batter around the bottom of a well greased 9-inch square cake pan and then evenly sprinkle the topping over the cake batter. Bake the buckle for 40-45 minutes or until a tooth pick insert into the center of the buckle comes out clean. Place the pan on a wire rack and allow it to cool completely before slicing the buckle.