This yummy snack cake is part zucchini bread, part banana bread, part chocolate cake, and all delicious. It's moist and deeply chocolaty and gets a hint of fruity flavor from the mashed banana. And while you can't taste it at all, the zucchini gives this cake a nice light texture.
On top of that, this cake is actually relatively healthy! It has very little fat, and because it contains both a fruit and a vegetable, it is much more nutritionally dense than your average snack cake.
This is my own original recipe, though I was inspired by a zucchini chocolate cake recipe posted on Taste of Home's website:
Chocolate Zucchininana CakeNotes:
2 1/2 c (350 g) all-purpose flour
1/2 c (41 g) cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 3/4 c sugar
1/2 c canola oil
2/3 c mashed banana (about 2 small bananas worth)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c plain yogurt
2 c shredded zucchini
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c chopped pecan (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until they are smooth. Add the canola oil, mashed banana, vanilla extract, and yogurt and whisk until everything is well combined.
4. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir until the the two just barely come together. Gently stir in the shredded zucchini, chocolate chips, and pecans.
5. Spread the finished batter evenly around the bottom of a well greased 9 x 13 cake pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Place the cake pan on a wire rack and allow it to cool completely before cutting the cake into squares.
- If you keep it in an airtight container, this cake will keep fresh for four or five days.
- This cake freeze well.