This pretty pound cake has a bright lemon flavor and just the right amount of sweetness. It's a dense, tender cake, and the poppy seeds within it add just a bit of crunch. Drizzling this cake with some sweet lemon glaze dials up the lemon flavor even more.
This recipe is adapted from the lemon drizzle cake recipe posted over at Butter + Cream:
Lemon Poppy Seed Sour Cream Pound Cake
1 1/2 c (210 g) all-purpose flour
2 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
12 tbsp butter (room temperature)
1 c sugar
2 eggs (room temperature)
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp lemon extract
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/3 c sour cream
1 recipe lemon glaze (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until they are well combined. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the lemon zest and lemon extract.
4. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until it is incorporated. Add the lemon juice and mix to combine. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until it is incorporated. Add the sour cream and mix to combine.
5. Pour the finished batter into a well greased loaf pan. Place the pan into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the pan to cool for 10 minutes before turning the cake out unto a wire rack to cool completely. Top the cake with the lemon glaze if desired.