These tasty bars combine the fruity, nutty, nostalgic flavor of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with the crispy, crumbly sweetness of a shortbread cookie. They're super simple to make, and you can easily switch up the flavor of these bars by changing the type of nut butter or the flavor of jam you use.
This recipe is adapted from the PB&J bar recipe found in the Fat Witch Brownies cookbook:
Nut Butter and Jam Bars
1 c all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 c butter (room temperature)
1/2 c nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter, etc.)
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c brown sugar
1 c old-fashioned oats
1 c jam (any flavor)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda until they are well combined. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, nut butter, sugar, and brown sugar until they are light and fluffy. Gradually beat the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until it is well combined. Mix in the oats.
4. Take 2/3rds of the nut butter mixture and press it evenly along the bottom of a well greased 9 x 9 square pan. Place the pan in the oven and bake the bottom crust for 10 minutes.
5. Carefully remove the bottom crust from the oven. Using a spoon or spatula, carefully spread the jam evenly over the bottom crust. Crumble the remaining nut butter mixture over the jam layer. Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the crumbles are golden brown and the jam is all bubbly.
6. When the bars are done baking, place the pan on a wire rack and allow it to cool completely. Remove the bars from the pan and cut to your desired sizes.